Discover Our History
From a modest 9-hole course opening in 1968 with 25 members to the premier private club it is today, Pine Island offers some of the finest facilities in the Charlotte, NC area. For over 55 years, our goal has been to provide a comfortable and welcome “home away from home” environment and exceptional amenities.
The Building of Pine Island
The building of Pine Island Country Club began in 1966 by the owner, Mr. Gerald L. Harkey, Sr. Mr. Harkey employed the services of golf architect, Mr. Mark Mahannah to design the golf course. Mr. Mahannah had designed courses in South America, the Bahamas and other parts of the world as well as the famous championship course, Lost Tree Golf Course near West Palm Beach, Florida. During the first two years, Mr. Harkey worked alone, completing all the fine grading for the course, and later hired his first golf course crew.
The golf course proper contains 146 acres. The first tract of land, 120 acres, was purchased in 1960 by Mr. Harkey from Mr. Plummer Stewart, a lawyer, who had purchased the land from Mr. W. C. Neal. Mr. Neal was the first recorded owner on the original Deed of Trust recorded at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse dating back to August 27, 1884. The second tract of land was purchased from Mr. Hipp. The total course and surrounding lots encompassed 256 acres of land. The selling of lots began in 1966.
The first nine holes of the course were opened officially on June 1, 1968, with a mobile home as a temporary clubhouse. At that time, we had 25 members consisting of several lot owners, friends, and business associates of Mr. Harkey. Later the clubhouse, swimming pool, tennis courts and playground were added.
It was Mr. Harkey’s desire to build the golf course to enhance the property and to preserve the natural environment and landmarks of his homeplace. His parents, Lindsay and Debbie Harkey, moved here when Gerald was nine months old in 1920. Lindsay was a tenant farmer and blacksmith. The family lived in a tenant house where the clubhouse now stands. Lindsay’s blacksmith shop was located near the pine tree on #10 tee on the golf course. The corn crib was on #6 tee, which is now the #9 tee. In the “bottomlands”, now the driving range, the family farmed their crops, the main being corn and cotton. In addition to the “Neal” house in which the Harkey’s lived, there have been five other houses on the golf course property.
Over the years to follow, Pine Island ownership transitioned from Mr. Harkey to a small ownership group consisting of mainly members to finally, the entire membership themselves. Fast forward to 2005, the ownership transitioned yet again, this time back to being privately owned. The Griffins, a local family of entrepreneurs, purchased the property in it’s entirety from the membership. After doing so, a total renovation commenced property-wide. The highlights included, but are not limited to: a golf course redesign by Mike Gleason, construction of a contemporary Clubhouse, new Aquatics center and modernized golf course maintenance facilities.